~ Promote Folk ~
Here are some simple ways to promote folk/roots music:
1. Give folk/roots music CDs and DVDs as Christmas presents and Birthday presents to your family and friends – it will help support your favourite artists and sow a seed for the future of the genre. Nothing makes a more beautiful, long-lasting gift than music.
2. Give folk concert or folk festival tickets as gifts.
3. Give a friend or family member a Folk Federation of New South Wales membership (or equivalent state). The recipients will receive the federation's monthly newsletter, such as the Cornstalk Gazette, keeping them in touch with folk clubs, festivals, radio programmes, and what's happening in the folk scene in their region.
4. Give a friend or family member a Sing Out! magazine subscription. Sing Out! magazine has been in publication since 1950 and has flown the 'folk flag' for longer than any other publication – well worth supporting!
5. Acoustic Guitar magazine - a great source of guitar related information.
6. Vintage copies of Sing Out! or Frets magazines, available on eBay, make thoughtful gifts and interesting reading.
7. Give someone a copy of Scott Alarick's book, Revival – A Folk Music Novel. Every folk musician would love this!
8. A relatively cheap instrument such as a Tin Whistle, Blues Harp, Jaw Harp, Kazoo, Harmonica or Ukulele makes a great gift.
9. Give someone who loves folk/roots music a Folk Alley internet subscription – a worthy internet folk music source!